For many of us, the best way to share our passion for cycling is to encourage others to hop on a bike with us. Inviting a neighbor to join us on leisurely ride or getting the spouse to promise to go on a coffee shop ride when the weather warms up, helps spread the magic of biking.Advertisement
If you would like to expand your impact and help increase the number and safety of kids biking in your community, sign up for a DOT sponsored Teaching Safe Bicycling Workshop.
The Teaching Safe Bicycling workshop is free, held throughout the state and teaches adults how to effectively teach bike safety to children. The knowledge is appropriate for parents, police officers, educators, and any bike enthusiast that wants to work with kids. The workshop includes in class and on-bike portions. Bike Fed staff and other experts serve as the instructors. You will leave the class confident and ready to do your own trainings.
Sign up required! To enroll in one of the free workshops or for more information contact Larry Corsi, Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation – Bureau of Transportation Safety (608) 267-3154 email@example.com
What will you learn?
- Find out how children differ from adults as bicycle riders and how the crashes they get into are different
- Learn to develop and organize a successful child rider training event in your community
- Learn how to work with service organizations, schools, community leaders, media and law enforcement to assure safe riding in the community
- Understand state-of-the-art skills related to safe bicycle riding and tips on how to teach hazard avoidance to children
- Experience hands-on hazard identification in bicycle riding areas and know who to work with to eliminate or correct these hazards
- Opportunity to share successful ways that you have used working with children
- Get useful bike safety materials to use back home
- La Crosse Saturday, April 27th, 2013
- Milwaukee Saturday, May 4th, 2013
- Appleton Saturday May 4th, 2013
- Fitchburg Saturday May 11th, 2013
- Stevens Point Saturday May 11th , 2013